Tuesday, January 30, 2007

"Death penalty sought for man in Kirkland family slayings"

You always read articles like this, and see reports on the news and think how awful it is, but it is always somehow abstract and removed from you - because you don't know these people or have a connection with them. They never touched your life, or brought you any joy. As human beings, we feel compassion and sorrow for the families of victims of crimes such as these, but then move on to feel thankful that it wasn't our loved ones.

Growing up in the UK, I've never been in a culture where the death penalty has been a part of life, or even accepted as a method of criminal justice or sentencing. Its one of those things that I don't quite think I'll ever get my head around understanding, I never grew up in a society that uses death as a form of punishment and I think I'll always find the concept somewhat creepy.

However, I now find myself on the other side of the fence - Olga. Olga was one of the Orthodontic assistants at the dental office I worked at, and very close to Dr O. They'd worked together for many years, he'd trained her up to be her assistant from no dental background at all - and being an ortho assistant was something that Olga really took to, and was very proud of. Being an ortho assistant isn't what I'll remember most about Olga though, her proudest accomplishment was always her family. She loved her husband and boys so much. I've never met a young woman with such conviction, she had such strong beliefs and was so sure of herself for someone in her twenties.

Today it was announced that the death penalty will be sought for the bleeping a-hole (excuse my language, but it I believe it justified) who did these awful things. I find myself in somewhat of a conundrum, I am, on most accounts, someone who doesn't really agree with the death penalty - although I'm not sure I am explaining that quite as articulately as I possibly could. I guess the best way of describing my feelings would be to say that the thought of it just creeps me out. But here I find myself personally affected by the situation, the loss of someone I cared about and a heinous crime against her and her family.

Here I find myself not upset at this verdict, and not creeped out by the fact that the man who did this will most likely be sentenced to death - in fact, I truly hope he is, and I hope it comes quickly - after all, bleeping a-hole killed my friend. Have my feelings towards the death penalty concept changed? I can't answer that. My husband pointed out, that for everyone convicted and sentenced to the death penalty, there is a family and people like me linked to a victim, who are grieving for the loss of someone they cared about.

I don't think the closure and peace will come from his death, but from the knowledge that he'll not harm anyone else. Unfortunately for Olga, its too late - the only thing we can do now is remember her and for the sake of other families, make sure that no one else is ever harmed by his hands.



No comments: