Saturday, January 20, 2007

I hate Spacers!

So I had another appointment today, a final meeting with Dr O and then the lovely Michelle popped in eight delightful spacers! Apparently I have lost a little bit of correction from not being great at wearing my schwartz appliance - but I swear, if you have ever seen one of those things, let alone tried to wear one, you would be on my side! I can't wear it all that much during the day, as it sets off my gag reflex constantly, and affects my speech too much for work. I try wearing it at night, and it does still fit just perfectly, and I wake up to find it on the floor by my bed, on my pillow and not forgetting my personal favourite, lodged in the small of my back with me laying on top of it. Its not loose enough to fall out, so I'm thinking that I'm pulling it out in my sleep.

Apparently I will have some rather funky configurations of elasics to wear, hopefully getting up to two that criss-cross on each side. I think we'll get into these after a month or two of braces. But in two weeks, full braces go on - upper ceramics and lower metals. As for the spacers, these are delightful little things. Spacers are far worse than braces, molar bands or any other orthodontic appliance that one could possibly imagine. They are for all intents and purpose harmless looking little rubber bands, tiny little things, but one applied carefully between two teeth, they can cause a severe amount of pain. Its more pressure than anything, just intense pressure and having them on both sides of my mouth, means the pressure is going all around every single tooth! Not fun, but tonight, being the first night is by far the worst. I am stocked with Tylenol, and will hopefully be more comfortable for work on Monday morning.


No comments: